power management settings mockup

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Fri Sep 12 20:41:26 CEST 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008 14:31:24 Chani wrote:
> On 9/12/08, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 12 September 2008 13:11:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >  > hm... here's a thought:
> >  >
> >  > * all popups should be instant apply
> >  > * all settings _dialogs_ should be ok/cancel
> >  >
> >  > if you can't safely make a popup instant apply, make it a dialog.
> >  >
> >  > thoughts? (seele)
> >
> > Plasma popup and window dialog, correct?
> >
> >  Then I would recommend this behavior be applied throughout the entire
> >  environment for plasma popups.  All instant apply dialogs must have an
> >  Undo/Revert function so you will still have a button somewhere.
>
> why must they all have undo buttons?
> i don't understand how this is different from, say, the volume control
> popup for kmix, where an undo button would seem silly to me.

If you are trying options out and you want to go back to your original
setting, you have to remember what your original settings were.  In some
cases they may be easy to remember, or being able to reset your original
settings may not be a big deal. But, there are plenty of cases where it will
be a problem, especially if you are exploring or configuring unfamiliar or
advanced option.  Revert/Undo is important safety net so users can feel
confident about configuring and exploring the system without fear of doing
something Bad.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project