power management settings mockup

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Fri Sep 12 20:20:55 CEST 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008 12:55:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > >
> > > this needs to be added to KPresentationControls then. do you have some
> > > code i can look at?
> >
> > Hm, now you mention it ... dunno where it is.  It should probably be in
> > the Solid powermanagement classes (not sure if it's in there already, or
> > if we need to poke Kevin :). It's in the FDO powermanagement API, at
> > least.
>
> ok, i'll see if i can get Kevin to give me a hint on it and then i'll add
> it to KPC.

> > > comments on the UI:
> > >
> > > * "Inhibit suspend after idle time" is pretty complex. how about
> > > reversing the logic with "Suspend automatically when idle"?
> >
> > As I said, the inhibit is temporary. The "Suspend automatically" sounds
> > like a permanent setting to me. Maybe "Do not suspend automatically"
>
> Do not suspend automatically is the same as Suspend automatically. i don't
> think it matters to the user which way it goes, right? this is an
> implementation detail that we probably don't need to harrass the user with.

I would prefer Suspend automatically.  When you use Do not suspend you get
something like this:

[X] Do not suspend (positive negative)
[ ] Do not suspend (double negative)

We recently added a guideline for this in the HIG to help govern more
consistent labels and help on how to avoid confusion:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Check_Box

* Checking a checkbox should always "enable" an option or change the state of
an option to "on". Checking a negative or disabling option is a double
negative and causes confusion and errors.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project