power management settings mockup

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 12 18:20:47 CEST 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008 17:29:31 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Hi Sebas, here are some quick thoughts:

thanks, see comment below.

> Battery charge level: needs a colon at the end
>
> Battery charge level label should be sentence case
>
> System performance profile label should be sentence case.

Aye, aye, aye.

> Do we need "System" as a modifier?  Does "Performance profile:" make sense?

I'll remove System :)

> What is the second % bar trying to tell me? Should it have a label or does
> it belong to some other option?

I've put it in to indicate some sort of 'power meter'. It could go away
(there's the combobox after all), it won't be real percentage (basically only
showing two states (2/3 filled for battery mode, 1/1 fill for performance
mode). Thinking of it, there can be more than those two profiles, so it's
probably easier to just get rid of it.

> Does Inhibit Suspend after Idle Time mean it doesnt suspend after idle time
> is up?  Is there a better way of saying this?  Does "Do not suspend
> [on,after] idle" convey the same message? (or does the inverse Suspend on
> idle make sense since a "do not" unchecked check box is sortof a double
> negative)

I've chose for this because the inhibiting is often temporarily (e.g. while
watching a movie).

> Inhibit suspend after idletime label should be in sentence case

OK.

> Current Brightness could be just Brightness. I'm assuming since there are
> no commit buttons and that this is instant apply.  At the same time, if
> this is instant apply, there needs to be an Undo or Revert.  If this isn't
> instant apply, I'm still not sure if we need the "Current" modifier.
> You're setting this up as a "now" configuration dialog and not
> configuration for the future, correct?  This isn't profile management.

I've chosen current because it temporarily overrides the brightness setting, I
can remove the current of course (just wanted to make sure you get what this
is about). Feel free to change your mind, otherwise I'll go with without
current.

> Current brightness should be in sentence case
>
> Current brightness: should have a colon

Aye, aye.

> Need more space between the slider and the Configure Power Management
> button to disassociate it from the slider widget. (The close position makes
> it feel like it belongs to the option instead of on its own)

Makes sense.

> Configure Power Management button, to ellipsis or not to ellipsis? We use
> an ellipsis in the label for menubar items (Configure Something...)

Ok.

--
sebas