power management settings mockup

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 12 17:21:46 CEST 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> and code duplication. http://reviewboard.vidsolbach.de/r/182/ -- I hope
> this gets in quickly (hint hint hint).

heh; yes, this should go in.... you already marked it as Ship It! after all.

> The configuration dialog should make it easy to
> - know about battery charge level and performance profile
> - dim / undim display (*1)
> - stop the machine from suspending when idle (*2)
>
> So that's what I'm working on as part of my
> systray-like-functionality-crusade right now. I'd like to get feedback on

+1

> (*2) There's an 'inhibit suspend' action in the powermanagement FDO dbus
> spec which prevents the system from suspending after a certain idle time,
> that's useful when you're doing a presentation or watching a movie and you
> don't want to have your system switching off. Some apps will implement this
> themselves (imagine dragonplayer or kpresenter calling inhibit suspend
> through dbus when in fullscreen mode).

this needs to be added to KPresentationControls then. do you have some code i
can look at?

> You've made it until here, you've earned a screenshot :-) I've also
> attached the ui file I used for your futzing.

comments on the UI:

* "Inhibit suspend after idle time" is pretty complex. how about reversing the
logic with "Suspend automatically when idle"?

* Current Brightness should be "Screen Brightness" imo, and the label should
be next to the slider.

* Battery Charge Level could just be Battery (it's obviously what it means =)
and should be to the left of the progress bar

* System Performance Profile could just be Performance Profile

* the progress bar for performance needs a label, which should be to the left
of it

* the progress bars should appear at the top of the dialog together with a
heading of "Status" perhaps, with the settings below that with a headng of
"Settings"?

* all labels should be right aligned, and widgets left align, ala the HIG

if you want help doing this, let me know. i don't want to steal your fun for
no reason though ;)

humru othro a kohnu se