Review Request: [MOCKUP] Clock: remove "Use local time zone"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 11 15:09:59 CEST 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2008/9/11 Hans Chen <hanswchen at gmail.com>:
> > As for the combobox, my first thought when I saw the picture was to put
> > it on top. However, I see a problem with this approach: it feels reversed
> > somehow. I think there is  a high possibility that users fail to see the
> > connection "Select a timezone in KTimeZoneWidget" -> "Another item pops
> > up in combobox". This is much clearer in the first picture in my opinion
> > (first select the desired timezones, then choose the default one).
>
> That is what I think. It's weird to use bottom element first
> (KTimeZoneWidget) to select time zones and *after* that use top
> element (QComboBox) to select "Clock defaults to". For me it's
> completly not intuitive.

i don't think that's the important point in this situation, however.

the combobox now shows which is the default, including Local. this combobox s
the hint to the user that the clock has a timezone set, even if none are
selected in the list.

the list represents additional, optional timezones while the combobox
represents the default ... therefore the setting in the combobox always
matters, the list doesn't and by putting the combobox first we give a hint to
the user right away that there is indeed a timezone selected.

having a bit empty list with the hint "it's ok that it's empty" at the bottom
feels odd.

that's why i suggested putting the combobox at the top.

humru othro a kohnu se