RSSNOW and news

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Fri Sep 5 16:50:17 CEST 2008

Sebastian Kügler schrieb:
> > 2) I noticed that news ticker is in kdenetwork, so what are we supposed to
> > do? a) moving both applet to kdenetwork
> > b) moving knewsticker to kdeplasma-addons
> > c) moving both applet to kdeplasma-addons
>
> If newsticker still performs as horrible as it did in the beginning, it
> shouldn't be released at all. That might save us some bugreports "plasma chews
> up all my CPU time". The news and rss applets are well-behaving as far as I
> can see, so those should replace the newsticker applet, or the newsticker
> applet needs to be fixed. Hence CC:ing Frerich.
>
> I'm planning to go through the theming support in the news applet, so moving
> it now to kdereview is a bit early (but it won't hold me from fixing the
> theming). I've already done some back- and forward-porting of stuff to have it
> in both applets (load feeds in the add feed combo from akregator, for
> example). The main showstopper for the newsapplet is the theming now.
>
> I totally agree that the lack of an RSS applet is unacceptable and that we
> should do something about it :)

As far as I'm concerned you can just let KNewsTicker die (and hold a
short funeral)
and replace it with whatever RSS reader is en vogue. These days it
doesn't really
pull its own weight anyway - all the RSS reading code was taken out of
KNT when
the whole blog thing started taking off (nowadays its in libsyndication
and in
Akonadi I believe), and the scrolltext widget is not so hip anymore
either given all
the fancy animations you can see in KDE by now.

For what it's worth, I don't even use KDE4 at all (I still run KDE 3.5.7
at home)
so there's only very little motivation to improve this situation. I
secretly hoped
that somebody else might pick up the torch but nothing like that
happened, c'est
la vie. These days I'm just following the mailing lists but I don't feel
like
writing any code for KDE anymore.

Can I simply svn rm KNT like that, or is there some working group or
something which
will chop my head off for doing something like that at this point?

KNT was fun while it lasted but I suppose eight years for such a tiny
applet is a
fairly nice lifetime. On to another eight years with RSSNow!

- Frerich