RSSNOW and news

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 5 16:04:10 CEST 2008

On Friday 05 September 2008 15:25:22 Davide Bettio wrote:
> 1) I think that we should move rssnow and news to kdereview (even if they
> aren't really ready) because if we move both applet to kdereview we can
> focus on making things working.

I don't follow this logic, it should be the other way round, no? Having people
review it when we *know* it's not ready doesn't sound useful :)

> 2) I noticed that news ticker is in kdenetwork, so what are we supposed to
> do? a) moving both applet to kdenetwork
> b) moving knewsticker to kdeplasma-addons
> c) moving both applet to kdeplasma-addons

If newsticker still performs as horrible as it did in the beginning, it
shouldn't be released at all. That might save us some bugreports "plasma chews
up all my CPU time". The news and rss applets are well-behaving as far as I
can see, so those should replace the newsticker applet, or the newsticker
applet needs to be fixed. Hence CC:ing Frerich.

I'm planning to go through the theming support in the news applet, so moving
it now to kdereview is a bit early (but it won't hold me from fixing the
theming). I've already done some back- and forward-porting of stuff to have it
in both applets (load feeds in the add feed combo from akregator, for
example). The main showstopper for the newsapplet is the theming now.

I totally agree that the lack of an RSS applet is unacceptable and that we
should do something about it :)
--
sebas