taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 20:37:16 CET 2008

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, chrigi_1 wrote:

> From: chrigi_1
> Subject: taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull
> Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
> Hi,
>
> i've noticed that marco implemented the "only
> group when full"
> functionality
> entierly in the tasks applet.
> Unfortunately i was implementing it at the same time, but
> in the lib
> instead
> of the widget ;-)
> Although the visualization has to say when the taskbar is
> full, i still
> think
> it's better to implement it in the lib and just set the
> limit when the
> group
> is full from the visualization.
> I think it would also help to make the code a bit more
> consistent since
> everything else is also implemented like this
> (showOnlyCurrentScreen).
>
> What do you guys think?

Not directly related to your question but...
As a user, the most annoying "feature" (to me) of any DE has been the grouping of tasks in the taskbar. I consider it a "bug". It is even worse than not having the "auto-hide panel".

Grouping makes tasks less accessible. I think that it is a way of telling the user: "You are so dumb that you opened so many windows that you forgot to keep track." Whenever I open a window I do want to keep its relative location fixed in the taskbar and I want to be able to reach it via single click.

Please don't make this "bug" the default behavior.

Thank you so much,
Orcan