pixmap leak in plasma?

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Tue Oct 28 02:24:16 CET 2008

On Saturday 25 October 2008, you wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2008, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > >
> > > things to try:
> > >
> > > * remove the tasks widget from the panel, see if that goes down
> >
> > From min/maxing windows I got up to 115xxxK pixmap mem, then I removed
> > both my task trays and usage went down in xrestop to 86527K a fairly
> > significant drop.
>
> yes, far too much. 86MB is also still too much though.
>
> > > * if not, try other widgets ;)
> >
> > I tried removing things such as a couple folder views, and some of the
> > new system status plasmoids, and usage has only gone down to 81190K
> >
> > I tried to re add the task bars, and plasma crashed, with no debug
> > window... But using the task bar to minimize and maximize an app causes
> > usage to jump several MB. per app. sometimes 10MB.
>
> is this with compositing and window thumbnails turned on? if so, if you
> turn thumbnails off does the problem lessen or even go away?

Its with gl compositing and thumbnails turned on, the problem does lessen.
plasma seems to be sitting at 166MB in pixmaps now with thumbnails turned off
and having been using the desktop for a day or so. or at least since the last
time I had to CTRL+ALT+BS it...

> > > * see how big the pixmap cache is reported to be in the debug output
> > > when plasma first starts (you can get this by starting it from a
> > > konsole)
> >
> > plasma(7544) PlasmaApp::PlasmaApp: Setting the pixmap cache size to 20630
> > kilobytes
> >
> > thats the first line that says anything about the cache.
>
> that's the line i was looking for.. thanks..
>
> > and using 'kquitapp plasma', plasma auto restarted.. and it didn't
> > remember that I added the task bars back, so they are gone again.
>
> so you have a widget that is crashing on exit; if you're building from
> source, the first place to look would be plugins that need to be rebuilt.
> if you can get a bt that'd be great.
>
> keeping this on plasma-devel at kde.org would also be good =)

I figured since I only received a message directly from you, with no copy to
the list you wanted to keep it off the list. But CCing the list now.

> > > not surprisingly, everyone reporting seems to be using nvidia. are you?
> > > if so, could you switch temporarily to the open source nv driver adn
> > > see if that fixes it?
> >
> > I'll try this later.. But it'll be hard to test it with the same
> > parameters... no GL with the nv drivers.
>
> yes, it won't be the same parameters: they aren't the same drivers.
>
> you could also try turning compositing on / off (assuming you have it on
> given your reference to GL) and see how that affects things.

disabling and re enabling compositing with system settings makes the pixmap
usage go up to 200MB from 160MB.

> > It also seems to be impossible to get to the taskbar's settings if its
> > filling up all the space. ctrl+s does nothing and theres no place to
> > right click.
>
> click on the toolbox button on the right (the "cashew") and then you can
> right click on the taskbar to get at its settings and what not.

Ah.. I hope theres a more convenient way at some point.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net