[PROBLEM] New systray notifications and kwin

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:28:06 CET 2008

On October 27, 2008 02:51:17 Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:26:22 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Only the ones that open popups automatically. The power management
> > control extender from the battery and the calendar should have focus.
> > (But I think it's fine to make that explicit in the applet itself.)
>
> Ok, so we need some function in popup applet which will allow its
> subclasses to specify desired behavior.
>
> Before that I guess we need to find some combination of
Qt::WindowFlags or
> NET::* flags which make popups focusless and don't break extenders at
the
> same time :)

I was hacking on the screensaver this weekend and banged my head against
window flags for a while.
As far as I can tell, Qt::Popup does something magical and wonderful which
makes Plasma::Dialogs not break plasma-overlay. I can't find any way to
make them work without that flag; the best I can get is input passing
straight through them (which is at least better than users having to drop to
a tty and kill plasma-overlay).

and yet, Qt::Popup also does something magical which breaks extenders.
blah.
oh, and the flags being used in trunk cause another bug for me: when I
clicked the button to bring up hte powerdevil config dialog, the battery
popup stayed *above* that and would not go away until I clicked on the
battery *applet*. that doesn't happen using plain Qt::Popup.
http://chani.ccdevnet.org/sshots/powerdevil.png

so just now I tried Qt::Popup |  Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint which doesn't
really help :) the popup stayed above the dialog - but this time it went away
when I clicked the dialog, which is good. extenders were still broken, though.

I'm wondering what exactly triggers the popup-hide that breaks extenders,
and if we can isolate it and fix it without breaking other things... but I have
to go to school.

of course, if anyone can figure out how to make popupapplet work on the
screensaver without using Qt::Popup, be my guest :)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com