Panel and activity removal - confirmation versus undo

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 14:53:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

After reading this post <http://forum.kde.org/showthread.php?tid=6411> I
thought a little bit about how accidents such as this one could be avoided.
"Just now I hovered the yellow thing to the right of the clock, right
clicked it and selected "remove this panel". Great, now I have lost my
entire bottom bar, when all I wanted to do was rid myself of this useless
button..."

The confirm dialog prevents users from accidentally removing panels and
activities. But there are also many users who want to experiment with Plasma
and/or confirm the removal because they thought something else was going to
be removed. Seeing your whole customized panel disappear isn't very
pleasant.

My suggestion is as follows:
1. Get rid of the confirmation dialog
2. Show a fade out animation when a panel or activity is removed
3. A "box" appears in the place of the panel/activity, displaying something
like

The panel has been removed.
[OK] [Undo]

This would allow users to get back their panel, regardless of why it was
removed. It will also make them feel relieved if it was a mistake instead of
leaving them thinking "wtf?". At least, that's what I believe.
The box will disappear if you click [OK], but I don't know if it's a good
idea to hide them after a set time. In the case of Activities, maybe the
boxes can disappear once you zoom in again.

Your thoughts?

With best regard,
Hans Chen