[PROBLEM] New systray notifications and kwin

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 23 16:42:24 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 15:27:18 Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> dimsuz is touch-typing with amazing speed in his kmail window. at the same
> time he often alt-tabs to kopete to chat with friends, and also types much
> in konversation in #plasma channel :)
> At the same time a lot of notifications arrive, and guess what  - each of
> them steals focus from dimsuz's current input widget! Because each of them
> has a default window role.
> What do you think dimsuz thinks on each notification appearance? Yeah, he
> thinks:
>
> "#%#!!!?#?!!!"
>
> And then  clicks back on the widget he is typing into :)

I've tried to investigate this problem, and encountered the following on my
recent trunk/ build: focus is not stolen when a notification pops up, and I
can continue typing, however, while the NET:SkipTaskbar | NET:SkipPager flags
are set on the window, and indeed the window is hidden in the taskbar and
pager applet, the window does appear in the alt-tab switcher, which is
undesirable. But according to http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kdeui/html/classNET.html, this shouldn't be the case:

"To set the state of a window, you'll typically do something like:
        KWindowSystem::setState( winId(), NET::SkipTaskbar | NET::SkipPager );

 for example to not show the window on the taskbar and pager (alt-tab dialog).
winId() is a function of QWidget()"

Is this maybe a bug in kwin?