Problems with the new tasks applet

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at gmx.ch
Wed Oct 22 19:30:06 CEST 2008

> From: notmart at gmail.com
> To: plasma-devel at kde.org
> Subject: Re: Problems with the new tasks applet
> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:42:56 +0200
>
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two tasks applet running (one at the bottom of each screen).
> > * Maximum rows == 1 and row is half the height of the panel.
> > http://kotisivu.lumonetti.fi/damu0/images/tasks.jpeg
> > * Maximum rows == 1 and sometimes I see one task in another row
> > * If I move task to another screen it vanishes from the source screen but
> > does not show in tasks in the destination screen.
>
> the algorithm to put the tasks in the grid is maybe a bit convoluted so i
> still did not understood whar the entity of problems in it could be.

I know its still a bit messy and there are some errors with the calculted rows value.
I'm working on it

> but a place where there is definitely a problem is QGraphicsGridLayout:

Yes, im already thinking of making a custom layout, or taking the one that is in the multirowtaskbar found on kde-apps.org.
The QGraphicsGridLayoutbehaves really strange sometimes.

> it turns out if you make a grid layout with items on say 3 rows, and then
> remove the items on a row, the layout will still think it has 3 rows (even if
> rowCount() now will return 2) and so resize the items on the first two rows to
> make room for that ghost dead third row and seems there is no way to really
> reset it (and no, there was absolutely no updates to graphicslayouts in
> qt4.5tp not a single line changed :/ ).
> so, i don't see non hacky solutions to that in the short term, the only way
> for now would be something like delete and recreate the layout each time the
> row count decreases :(
> in that case layoutwidget shouldn't be a layout itself but just contain one...

I don't like the idea but maybe we're really forced to do somthing ugly like this...........

Regards

Christian Mollekopf