[PROBLEM] New systray notifications and kwin

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:27:18 CEST 2008

Hello!

I just found a real problem with new notifications system. Let me describe it.
New notifications are shown using a PopupApplet which is a full-blown window from the
KWin POV. So what happens is the following:

dimsuz is touch-typing with amazing speed in his kmail window. at the same time he
often alt-tabs to kopete to chat with friends, and also types much in konversation in
#plasma channel :)
At the same time a lot of notifications arrive, and guess what  - each of them steals
focus from dimsuz's current input widget! Because each of them has a default window
role.
What do you think dimsuz thinks on each notification appearance? Yeah, he thinks:

"#%#!!!?#?!!!"

And then  clicks back on the widget he is typing into :)

I tried to fix this one, but quickly found that systray (being a PopupApplet) just
uses PopupApplet::popup() function.
That is systray has no control on the dialog that pops up.
I think that it should be able to somehow tell the popup() that this particular popup
should be of Qt::Tooltip type or something like that.

So I'm thinking what's the best way to do this? A parameter to popup() function? A
new function PopupApplet::setPopupAsTooltip(bool)? something else?

Note, that i think this is a problem that really needs to be fixed, as it may
potentially annoy a lot of our users :)

Cheers,
Dmitry.