Plasma::ToolTipManager API review

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Oct 22 08:48:40 CEST 2008

Le Tuesday 21 October 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :

> > > have you seen how many items we pass in? =)
> >
> > Between one and three? Doesn't looks like a big deal to me, but maybe
> > that's just me. :-)
>
> one and four, actually.

Ah? Aren't the WId and the QPixmap kind of mutually exclusive?
Oh right, fallback system if no compositing... so yeah: four.

> > Now in your changes last night you added something about state of the
> > manager: activated, deactivated, inhibited. I'm wondering about this
> > three/state thing, wouldn't inhibited or not be enough? In your doc about
> > deactivated, it means ignoring calls to setContent(), I'm not really
> > confident with having a method silently discarding the content passed
> > depending on a state which might be set somewhere else. Looks like a neat
> > way to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> the idea is for devices where we *never* want tooltips we also tend to be
> more memory constrained ... sooooo ...

Ah, I see. Makes sense, might be abused from C++ though, so definitely
something we don't want applet to be able to fiddle with: aka don't expose in
scripting APIs.

> >   // no default, on purpose ;-)
>
> all that does it make people write more lines of code. which is silly.

Improves readability on maintainance too... which isn't silly IMO.

"setContent(w);" vs "setContent(w, Content());", on the first form if I read
the line we could assume it's using anything as default value.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."