4.2: the binary compatible release

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 21 20:03:16 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > for those wondering what binary compat means for us, in a nutshell:
> >
> > * we can't add new members to the public classes (the dptr makes that
> > unecessary in the first place, of course =)
>
> Are you sure about this one?

positive.

> Techbase says you can:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++#The_D
>o.27s_and_Don.27ts

"You cannot... [...] add new data members to a class or change order of data
members in a class (doesn't apply to static ones)."

> > You can add new non-virtual functions including signals and slots and
>
> constructors.

yes, functions or methods. not data members (which i usually shortcut to just
"members", versus "methods" ... probably what caused confusion; sorry.)

humru othro a kohnu se