4.2: the binary compatible release

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 20 00:23:07 CEST 2008

On Sunday 19 October 2008, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Le Saturday 18 October 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> >     * Known issues
> > 	* Service additions
>
> Hm, last time I looked at it, it was ok. Did it got much changes I
> overlooked lately?

no, but i'll be adding hooks to "remote" a Service over Jolie, now that the
Jolie bits are done. i'm thinking of adding a publish and subscribe set of
methods so that Plasma::Service can do it all behind the back of the
Plasma::Service itself by re-routing requests based on the publish/subscribe
state in Service::startOperationCall

> > 	* Multiple action runners
>
> Not sure I'm qualified to comment on this one. I'm not exactly sure which
> API got impacted by this feature.

it's Ryan Bitanga's patch, publised on review-board. it has a number of
issues, however, and simply will not work with the current design of KRunner.
essentially, it takes AbstractRunner in a completely different direction that
is wholey incompatible with the current design: it pushes the actual action to
be trigered out of the AbstractRunner::exec and into the Actions instead;
those runners would be completely useless depending on the UI they are used
with and makes it a completely non-starter.

so i need to spend a few days really soon here to figure out exactly how to
accomplish the same end without damaging the design.

> > 	* PanelSvg name - apparently people don't like it ;)
>
> Seeing the reactions we might find a better name soon. Not a good name (not
> possible for this class), but at least not a misleading one.
>
> I think we could give a try to renaming ConfigXml too. I know it's
> inheriting KConfigSkeleton, but it's not only about config. I guess this

it isn't about config? what is about?

> one is missing the "loading" metaphor, we've UiLoader, it's doing a similar
> service for config descriptions.

ConfigLoader? hm..

> > 	* Tooltip API review
>
> This one I can probably review.