4.2 feature targets

Aike J Sommer dev at aikesommer.name
Sun Oct 19 12:15:46 CEST 2008

Am Samstag 18 Oktober 2008 20:33:21 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> Hello =)
>
> the third thing we discussed at the meeting today was feature targets for
> 4.2. these are all things that are doable by November 17th and must be in.
> feel free to add to this thread, of course, and everything here should be
> on the feature plan.
>
> * Core features
>     * libplasma
> 	JOLIE <-> Plasma::Service
> 	sort out the multiple action runners
> 	security model
>     	in-applet messages
>     	calendar widget (migrate libplasmaclock and calendar applet in addons)
>     * desktop shell
> 	per-virtual-desktop views
>     * mid shell
>     	this will depend probably in part on what we do with Nokia in the near
>     	future
>     * screensaver shell
>     	* http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2008-October/001672.html
>     * per-applet authors info
>     * full-featured DBus interface (?)
> * Component status
> 	* Applets to move in
> 	* Systray-refactor needs kuiserver integration
> 	* Taskbar refactor needs stabalizing (crashy, UI layout issues)
> 	* Put calendar widget in kdebase, make it use libplasmaclock for widget
> 	* Keyboard status
> 	* The 15 things in kdereview must be moved!
>
> there were several things brought up for 4.3 (such as improved a11y,
> aligned timers, etc ...) and we'll get to talking about those in January ;)
> until then, we need to keep focussed on Nov 17 for features and then start
> nailing bugs left, right and center for a great 4.2 release.

I would still love to get kephal in... I've hacking on it a little more and it
is now in a state where:
- it's a kded-module
- it defaults to "external" configuration now, that is, it wont mess with
existing layouts unless specifically told to
- it uses namespace Kephal and ::self()'s instead of kephal and ::instance()'s
- i dont really see anything big which would be a blocker

So... Should we put it in 4.2?? If so, what do i need to do??

:-)

--
Aike Sommer
http://aikesommer.name/