Device notifier restyle

Janz email.ajj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 23:47:30 CEST 2008

I agree it depends. I believe a good measure is the purpose user expects
from each widget. There are cases when he waits for just some information
and cases when he always wants any information.

Taskbar is one example of first case (and works exactly like I suggested for
Device Notifier): if there's no app running, there's no track from taskbar
being there and normally user is ok with that, he just expects to notice it
when he starts an app. So, if he he does it and taskbar still shows nothing,
*then* you'll see him looking for taskbar plasmoid.

The opposite case is a NetworkManager: once user has one there he always
wants to know info about the connection, even if the computer is
disconnected (that is, in this case, disconnection is a valuable
information).

I believe Device Notifier is in the first case: user normally expects it to
notify about devices recently plugged in, like its name and its dialog well
say and like it behaves (only popup the dialog when something gets in, never
on getting out). That means, unlike NetworkManager, disconnections are not
relevant and, as so, no devices is not a notification user is normally
interested in. He wants it to notify and give access to stuff that hit in.
--
"Eu sou a ressurreição e a vida. Quem crê em mim, ainda que morra, viverá; e