status of single monitor support

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 23:25:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

Until quite recently all of the primary graphics libraries for
Windows, Linux (and presumably Mac?) use pixels as their basic unit of
measurement.  Naturally when you increase the number of pixels that
can fit in a particular space then everything consequently gets
smaller.

There is work going on to make toolkits resolution independent.
Microsoft is already there with Windows Presentation Foundation and Qt
is part the way there with QGraphicsView.  KDE meanwhile is using
vector graphics as the basis for icons, backgrounds and other artwork
these days so we're ready when the time comes.  I'm not sure what the
situation is with the Mac.

I'm sure the Trolls have discussed this in much more detail internally
- who knows.

Regards,
Robert.