Extender theming issues.

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Fri Oct 10 15:43:27 CEST 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 14:48:05 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 10 October 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> > On Friday 10 October 2008 00:01:15 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > ah, i see .. i wasn't explicit enough: keep the top margin in the
> > > dialog, just get rid of the left/right/bottom margins.
> > >
> > > the reason for doing it this way is then you don't have to specia case
> > > anything when the Extender gets used in some other scenario (where
> > > painting the top of the first item wouldn't be desired)

> > > if we use a separate svg this is a non-issue; still i don't think it
> > > would matter in practice.
> >
> > Well actually, this is an issue: in the current oxygen plasma theme, the
> > background's border sizes of applet and dialog's background are
> > different, because the applet's border includes shadows, and the dialog's
> > border doesn't. So we would need 2 different extenderItem backgrounds to
> > fit
>
> not exactly: the problem is that there must be two different dialog svgs:
> one loaded when the desktop effects are on and that is exactly the same as
> applet (but nothing forbid a theme to make two totally different ones) and
> one loaded when effects are off, that must not have antialias at the
> borders, so the situation is even more complicate, i personally think that
> attempting composing two diffent background svgs is really asking throubles
> and can't get good results..

And the alternative? Let extender handle all the drawing of borders and hide
the borders of both dialogs and applets that contain an extender? In that case
we'll be sure to never be able to combine extenders and ordinary widgets is
the same layout. Plus, it requires quite some code, most of which is
duplicated from elsewhere, mainly applet and dialog.

> > correctly in both applet and dialog. Or the dialog and applet background
> > border have to be made the same.
> > Hmm, actually, dialogs are always masked anyway, so the dialog's
> > background svg can have the same border size as applet, since the excess
> > part of the border will get masked away anyway. That approach might
> > work... I'll just
>
> this only when desktop effects are off i think

Yes, with compositing we can just leave the masking.