Status of multi-monitor support

Guillaume Pothier gpothier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:12:37 CEST 2008

2008/10/8 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
>> On the other hand, the shell does not react well to configuration
>> changes. It is necessary to restart plasma when a monitor is
>> added/removed.
>
> there is code to handle this, actually. but we've never had the signals to
> actually test it and so it's sort of rotted out. see PlasmaApp::adjustSize in
> workspace/plasma/shells/desktop/plasmaapp.cpp ..

Yes, it seems signals indeed are part the problem here. adjustSize is
called in response to a signal in QDesktopWidget, which is, as Aike
pointed out before, pre randr-1.2 stuff. The issue is that the
argument to the signal is not really what is expected by adjustSize.
I guess the right thing to do would be to listen to kephal signals
instead of QDesktopWidget ones? How would communication work in that
case? dbus?
Anyway, I'll re-apply the workaround patch I sent before, to see if it
is still useful (it reconfigured all the screens instead of
reconfiguring only one when adjustSize was called). If it works, it
might be a good idea to include it until a kephal is moved out of
playground.