playground plasmoid redux

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 04:40:47 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 03 October 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
>> On Thursday 02 October 2008 22:08:41 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>> systray-refactor - needs the plasmoid protocol finished out, but
>>> generally there. (notifications?)
>>> 	kuiserver - should be added to the systemtray?
>> Or maybe just keep as a seperate plasmoid which can of course be used
>> through the systray's plasmoid protocal.

This would mean that kuiserver's extender would be different to
systray's thus negating the purpose of integrating the two.

>> Because as opposed to the
>> notifications applet, the kuiserver applet really needs an icon to
>> open/close the popup. Transfers often take a while, and you don't want to
>> have the popup open all the time while a transfer of multiple hours is
>> running, while you do want to open it sometimes to take a look at how for
>> the transfer is.

I hadn't considered this.

> the KUIServer protocol in systray-refactor could create the icon, which the
> systray would then add

This is definitely a possibility, but I'm not sure it's really possible
to accomplish by October 19th. Assuming that the icon would show/hide
the extender, there are issues such as the interaction between the
kuiserver hide/show and knotify notifications, or how an icon adding
through the Task protocol can even get access to the extender.

Given that the systray is a fairly core piece of the workspace, I'd
really prefer to spend the alpha/beta stage ironing out any regressions
from 4.1 rather than forcing in changes that weren't designed for...

--
Jason Stubbs