playground applets

r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 1 13:56:41 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Stubbs [mailto:jasonbstubbs at gmail.com]
Sent: Wed 10/1/2008 6:20 AM
To: plasma-devel at kde.org
Subject: Re: playground applets

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM,  <r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> * Detached notifications don't close. (What to do about this?)
>
> I think that is correct behavior. If the user detaches a notification, that kind of implies that the user is interested in this notification. It's not very kind to automatically close this notification in that case.

It's a little more complicated. See my response to Aaron on this one.

Ok, I agree about that one, only timeouts shouldn't work anymore.

> * Notifications aren't grouped by application. (Not critical but
>   preferred)
>
> The only way to do this nicely, is by having grouping support in extenders, and while I agree that we should have this feature, I don't think this is realistic for 4.2.

Another way to do it would be to show notifications from a single
application one at a time. Or... I'm not sure. What I do know is that
I sometimes get a lot of kopete notifications and presently they are
just scrolling straight off the screen. This could well be an issue
somewhere else though.

Well, I think the user should be able to scroll through all of them. I think extender grouping support is definetly the way to go, having 2 arrow buttons on a group, and allowing a user to detach only one extender out of the group while leaving the rest of the items in the group. Maybe as a fix in the meantime, kopete shouldn't create that much notifications. But I think implementing your idea would just be a nasty temporary hack.

> * Misbehavior of certain applets within the plasmoid protocol or
>   vice-versa. (Still needs investigating)
>
> I would like to add a point to this list: positioning of the extender is wrong on my system. Notifications are drawn part off screen and behind systray icons.

Is this the fault of the systray applet? All it's doing is adding a
widget to the extender and then doing a showPopup(). Is there
something that the widget should be doing that it isn't? The widget
hasn't really changed from extendified_notify...

Well, on my system it doesn't seem to be added to the popup but just be made child of the systray applet itself. But I'm working on some changes to extenders (making them look just like in pinheiro's mockup), so maybe I just broke something in libplasma there. Good chance, if I'm the only one experiencing this problem.

Regards,
Rob