Systray Notifications

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Sun Nov 30 18:24:56 CET 2008

On Samstag 29 November 2008 15:15:58 Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> Well, with more notifications then space available stuff will obviously be
> suboptimal. The question is how often this situation arises. I'm using
> these notifications in the systray for some time now, and the amount of
> simultaneous messages has never been very big. Of course with telephone
> like systems, that situation could occur, and if it does, you can use that
> icon to hide your notifications so they aren't in your way.

Well once I got many Kopete messages and the notifications started "flashing"
(readjusting?).

My systray is on a toolbar that is hided automatically and I
could not press that button that moment. I logged on to kopete and got many
messages, yet I could not hide them, they "overlayed" the bar.
Yes pressing the icon of the notificaiton and then clicking into the chat-
window solved that problem, but it's not nice neither.

Anyway my point is even if you can hide that imagine -- especially in the
future with the option to keep the "dialog" open -- that you are copying many
things around and then hide all the notifications away. After a while you want
to see if everything has been finished yet there are too many notifications

Imo there should be a scrollbar. So all notifications are in one
extender/plasmoid themselves.
I made a primitive mockup: [1], [2]
[1] all notifications are shown, in [2] more notifications were added and only
the last are shown. If you want to see the other active notifications simply
scroll up.
That way you don't lose information yet your screen is not filled with
notifications.

In the future something like this could be configureable, so that you'd set
the space that notifications are allowed to take.

[1] http://imagebin.org/32482
[2] http://imagebin.org/32483