Systray Notifications

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Nov 29 16:41:25 CET 2008

Rob Scheepmaker wrote:

> Agreed, Ideally those should be hidden. Something I could do is only let
> notifications appear after a job has been running for a couple of seconds
> so all those very short jobs won't bother you,

As far as I know this is exactly what happens with the old dialogs.

> unimportant messages. Any kio job will get registered to kuiserver and I
> don't think that can be changed without additions to the kio api. (and of
> course applications marking jobs as 'unimportant')

There is a way to know if the progress info should be visible or not, and namely the JobFlags argument for the kio methods. See the API docs (like
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/namespaceKIO.html#09f67ce3514cc15ed2adcf91704fa55e) and see there:
flags,:   We support HideProgressInfo here

You should take this into the account and not show any progress info if the caller doesn't want to (for most stat, open and sometimes save, etc. cases).

Andras