Panel colors, background and compositing...

Davide Bettio davide.bettio at kdemail.net
Mon Nov 24 23:40:03 CET 2008

Hi,

Il Monday 24 November 2008 23:30:52 Jud Craft ha scritto:
> I believe it has been expressed that the overall philosophy with
> Plasma is that if you have 3d-compositing capability, you get
> compositing features.  If you do not, then you don't.  There will be
> no clever hacks to enable such effects in a non-composited
> environment.

It's just a matter of using things with an alpha channel over a backround and
Qt is able to do that in a fast manner.
Probably it isn't the best solution, but it allows us to get a great result
wihtout 3D capabilities and in a quite fast way.

> I do wish that there were non-composited ways to add a touch of flare
> to your KDE desktop, however;
> the current plasma theme (similar to what Vista does for the Aero
> interface's taskbar) would be nice, as opposed to merely having one
> color hardcoded in a plasma theme.

I'm not sure if using tint is faster thant the background-alpha-workaround.

Bye,
Davide Bettio.