usuability issue between kde4 and mouse

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Mon Nov 24 00:16:44 CET 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 22:59:32 Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i don't know if this is the correct ML to post this issue but a user
> reported us a usuability issue.
>
> If you right click, keep the mouse pressed, mouse it on the menu, and
> unclick the mouse, kde4 consider that you have clicked on the menu.
>
> Is it the intended behaviour ? can it be changed to not act this way and do
> not consider that you have clicked when you unpress the mouse.

This is true across all of Qt, as far as I'm aware (not just Plasma), and I
believe was the behaviour in KDE 3.  It also seems to be the case in GTK+,
too, from my quick test in Firefox.

I'm guessing Windows does the same, because I make use of this on occasion,
and I haven't noticed it behaving differently at work.  But I can't test that
right now.

In short, it's intended behaviour, and if you don't want to activate the
context menu items, you should either release the right mouse button straight
away or move the mouse pointer away from the menu before releasing.

Also, I don't think KDE can do anything about it, because it's probably
ingrained into Qt.

Alex

PS: no, this wasn't the right email list for this, since this is KDe-wide.
kde-devel might have been a better place, or maybe kde-core-devel, or maybe
the usability email list since you posed it as a usability issue.