bug update

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 18 18:22:22 CET 2008

hi all..

so feature freeze is behind us. it's now bug hunting season! for the next two
months we should be focussed on:

* polishing the features that we added for 4.2

* fixing bugs from bugs.kde.org

i have a saved search on bugs.kde.org for plasma, and it's a great time saver.
it shows all non-wishlist, still open bugs for the plasma component.

remember when i said we had over 450 open reports? well .. due to heroic
efforts by various people (Sebas, Marco and Riccardo have all been rather
active over the last few days, and I've closed a few myself =) we're now down
to 329 as of right now.

We're busy shaking out all the deadwood: bugs that we fixed already, bugs that
were never followed up on by users after we requested more information, bugs
that belong to other components in KDE or which were fixed upstream (Qt, x.org,
etc). I figure we probably will get down to 300 or so once that shaking is
complete and then we'll be down to mostly patch-and-fix bugs left.

Some priorities I see:

* get someone testing Plasma on multi-screen with Kephal. there are huge
numbers of mult-screen related bugs open that *hopefully* the new screen
management code in Plasma and Kephal will address for 4.2

* chase out the quick patches; a lot of bugs there can be closed with 1-20
lines of code. chasing them out of the way over the next week or two will be a
rewarding way to see progress made, a nice respite after all of our hard work
on features these last few months and a good way to leave behind the Monsters

* classify the Big Bugs by bumping them in priority

with the Betas coming out, we are bound to see a small surge in reporting.
note that we easily get over 50 reports a week to plasma as it is. this is a
good sign as it means people are using our stuff, even directly from svn, and
feel connected enough to the product to spend the time reporting.

with all of our efforts refocussed from feature development to polishing, buffing
and improving the 4.2 release of Plasma is going to rock hard and that means
millions of happy users out there. they say bug squashing is "unsexy" and "not
fun"; i say bullshit. there's nothing more enjoyable than seeing a mountain of
features sparkle and smiles on the faces of our users.

and .. it's also fun to watch the numbers drop and drop on bugs.k.o:

	http://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi

go team plasma! =)

humru othro a kohnu se