KDE 4.2 Toolbars

JJ email.ajj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 14:53:41 CET 2008

Oops! Just noticed what happened. Cross posting at the thread begining and
not followed as the thread growed ... That proposal was sent to
kde-usability only. Well, now you guys have it (and I'm cross posting it
again to kde-usability so they can answer too). ;-)

It's good to remind it's a mockup and I don't know if label line break is
(or could be) possible.

2008/11/14 JJ <email.ajj at gmail.com>

> Well, I (and possibly everyone here too) think user should miss as little
> information as possible. For that, I guess this "hide few labels 'till fit"
> option is good.
>
> But, alongside it, we had a default layout proposal that would help that to
> happen a little less (that is, if this layout doesn't get enough room for
> buttons and labels, *then* labels could go getting hidden - but we would
> possibly lose less labels).
>
> However, I'm sorry if I missed it along this thread but I think that
> proposal ( http://dropbox.nilux.org/test.png , mockup sent by nilux,
> yesterday) wasn't discussed at all (I guess Anne's doubt about font's
> settings blurred it - or I really missed it) ...
>
> So, if not discussed, I'm joining these two proposals as one (that layout
> as default and, not fitting, hide labels, one by one, 'till fit), so user
> miss less labels. What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Janz
> "Eu sou a ressurreição e a vida. Quem crê em mim, ainda que morra, viverá;
> e todo o que vive e crê em mim não morrerá, eternamente. Crês isto?"
> O Senhor, Jesus Cristo - Jo.11:25-26
>
> 2008/11/14 Matthias Fuchs <mat69 at gmx.net>
>
>  For those that do not regularly read planetkde.org:
>>
>> Daniel Molkentin posted about text alongside the icons [1].
>>
>> He thinks that this is a mistake using Kopete as example. Being able to
>> activate the text per item is what he prefers (a code example there).
>>
>> There are also some proposals in the comment section.
>>

>> Imo the Kopete-example is not really fair, as you do not see the whole
>> menu-bar. And btw. I'm happy that text -- be it right or under the icon
>> -- is standard now. I see myself using icons far more often.
>>
>> [1] http://daniel.molkentin.de/blog/archives/129-On-Icons-and-Labels.html