KDE 4.2 Toolbars

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Wed Nov 12 19:11:53 CET 2008

> Nuno Pinheiro:
> Well some time ago I sudgested to Celeste  that we should use in
> the thoolbars text along side icons instead of text under icons.
> Couse:
> 1 Looks Pretier.

which is quite personal taste.

> 2 Saves precious vertical space.

and waste (even more precious ;-) ) horizontal space.

> 3 Remains a prety big hit area.

which makes no difference.

> 4 Its more readable (no need to read rows horozontaly) just one
> line

which takes more time to scan (read) toolbar and move mouse more (how
many users have toolbars which takes the entire screen?)

Another advantage of text under cursor as you can read separately
icons and text, because those two form two lines really.

> 5 Its visualy more consitent with the text menu area.

Point taken.

I think that considering as fixed layout is a mistake. The most
important points are (2) and (1). (1) is up to user and (2) is really
up to monitor (screen). Since KDE team does not sell
computers/monitors I say we leave that decision to user. People with
16:9 monitor probably will choose text alongside while owners of 4:3
monitor will tend to choose text under icons.

So please offer both modes.