Krunner, Kickoff and Nepomuk krunner

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 11:53:44 CET 2008

Aaron is correct about Kickoff not using KRunner.  It should do - just
needs to be implemented.

> i'm sure there are better answers than a "boring simple list".

There is nothing wrong with a plain text text list with just icons on
one side or another but if you want
to jazz it up - please do so in a way that is useful.  For example,
inline previews of matching
images or web pages, quick access to recently opened files with
applications that match search
results, quick access to common tasks performed with matching
applications.  Square boxes
with spinning effects are novel the first time you see them but I
think they miss the point of what
KRunner / desktopbar / Spotlight etc. are for.  This sucks for me
because KRunner is
otherwise really useful with all the extra plugins it now has versus
its initial incarnation in KDE 4.0

The current square boxes in KRunner fail as soon as the search result
is more than a couple of (short) words
long.  eg. "OpenOffice Writer", "OpenOffice Impress" are all clipped.

Regards,
Robert.