Krunner, Kickoff and Nepomuk krunner

Daniel Winter dw at danielwinter.de
Tue Nov 11 03:28:35 CET 2008

Am Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:52:47 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:

> > A boring simple list with an Icon in front of each result (optinaly
> > grouped by type or runner plugin) would be much more usable.
>
> not really. this just produces new kinds of annoyances (having used krunner
> extesively when we did have a list .....)

OK, not sure.  Maybe I should work on a krunner based plasmoid for searching
(showing a search icon in the panel, you click on it get a input line and
results are show in a list grouped), similar to the one in Gnome/OS X.

> what you're running into is that you can't see all the text that would be
> useful to make a decision on visual scan. it doesn't help that the icons
> returned by the nepomuk runner aren't exactly descriptive (and the rankings
> it assigns them seem to be .. wonky?)

Yes, seeing not much of the text is an issue. Example search for some images:
I get 10 results (one page). All of them have an image icon and "Open filename"
as text. On my setup (font size) those get truncated to "Open "+ first 4 chars
of filename. That is often not enough to decide if it is the one i was
searching for.

And what is wrong about the Icons the nepomuk runner sets? For files those are
the default icons for that mime type. Well, I would like to see a preview for
images instead (would also llook very nice) but that could slow down things.
Krunners API doesn't allow to first show a a basic default icon for mime-type
and update it when the preview is ready, does it?

And about wonky rakings, they are not perfect but are they really that bad?

> i'm sure there are better answers than a "boring simple list".

Would like to hear your Ideas.

> but yeah, you've simply come upon two things in plasma that few people care
> to work on: krunner and kickoff. huzzah.

That is bad. Oh another more generell issue about krunner: It is by itself a
hidden feature of KDE.  How should one know that you can press ALT+F2 to get
that nice thing? The search in kickoff is easier to find, and having krunners
features there too would help.