plasma, panels, colours

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Fri Nov 7 18:06:06 CET 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008 17:09:47 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2008, you wrote:
> > On Friday 07 November 2008 03:39:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > i also understand, and accept, that there will be people who love an
> > > all-black approach. i hope that others can understand that our current
> > > default is not working out at the moment, if only because our
> > > downstreams are rejecting it outright (and replacing it with horrific
> > > results).
> >
> > Hmm... I think that the only problem with the current style is that it
> > doesn't look too great with maximised windows. I've seen many people
> > hinted by the simple logic of "how cool it looks" to keep the windows not
> > not maximised unless really forced to, and I personally begun to do that
> > myself with KDE 4.
>
> the concept of reducing window space to look cool is so utterly backwards
> as a way to serve the user that i'm at a loss for words.
>
> i think the art direction needs to step back from fetishizing screenshots
> and move just a few more steps towards making something that is ergonomic
> and useful.

Hey, don't make me say something I haven't said! I just said how most users are
reacting to the problematic that we're facing with the current default theme,
explained below. I'm not suggesting to encourage even more to have small
windows, that's just a description.

> > The root of this problem, IMHO, is that this situation unfortunately
> > never seen in nuno's mocks, and in his testing, because he always uses
> > rather large monitors.
> > So it does indeed look gorgeous in his mocks
>
> last i checked we were making things to use, not paintings to hang on
> walls.

So what? Looking good in most situations is a beginning, now we only need to go
further and polish the last bits from there. And really, the only problem is
with maximised windows.

> > working for some time in a KDE 4 environment. There's too much contrast
> > and this clashing gets to annoys you after some time.
>
> that's another issue / problem with it, yes.

That's not another issue, that's *the* issue...

Bye,
-Riccardo
--
GPG key: