plasma, panels, colours

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:56:18 CET 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2008, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> > A Friday 07 November 2008 02:39:40, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> > > black, however, can be sexy. when it's used as a highlight, as an
> > > anchor or on a feature piece. but as the everything colour ... not
> > > really. there are specific situations where that *can* work, a working
> > > desktop is really not one of them.
> >
> > In the design book "color harmony" by Tina Sutton and Bride M.Whelam
> > "Graphic
> > The color combination of black and white, is clasical and dramatic at the
> > same time- think newspaper headlines, piano keys and tuxedoes, in
> > decoration black and white tiles add a touch of elegance to an hallyay,
> > while in fashion nothing is more cosmopolitan than basic black with
> > perls"....
>
> a desktop is not formal wear like a tuxedo or a little black dress that you
> wear out at night to dinner. it's something you take with you and use to
> work with every day. we're not making a screenshot to look cool in GQ
> magazine, we're making something for people to use.
>
> and in this, dressing it up in ALL BLACK, ALL THE TIME does not say "oh
> look, this is an elegant and snappy dresser" it says "this is depressing
> and doesn't belong with the lightness of the rest of the desktop".

i agree that the current theme is not percieved in a good way, but i'm just
very hesitant about making the panel a different background color compared to
other applets, today i tried to mock something but always looked terrible...,
i would probably be more for an uniform light theme

if the panel has to be of a dufferent color compared to the rest it should
probably be the panel more or less uniform on a palette similar to the default
oxygen color scheme, but also the dialog svg should have that color, because
otherwise extenders would look totally alien

it will look as two totally different themes but at least two coherent
different themes

another opyion that i tought about is to enable default backgrounds also in
the panel (having of course another svg for that) so the background of the
applets would be different from the one of the panel, but not liking it to
much hmm, scrap that