AW: Re: KDE4 slow on thinclients (video)

chris at schlagmichtod.de chris at schlagmichtod.de
Fri Nov 7 17:24:33 CET 2008

I am not a developer, but this one surprises me.
The Geode NX is basically an Athlon (K7-Core) on 1GHZ.
So the Celeron nearly has three times more Mhz and double RAM,
Ok, Celerons are not the Kings of efficiency, but with a _that_ big advantage in numbers, it should not feel slower than the Geode.

So maybe there are driver (mesa!?) issues here, perhaps the differences in Kernel-Series (2.6/2.4) and X also have an impact.
Overall, those Systems are very different.
eLUX seems to be specifically designed for Thin Clients, so its probably better at Management with the limited Ressources than a Suse 9.

greetings,
me

"Martin Vogt" <mvogt1 at googlemail.com> schrieb am 07.11.2008 15:17:

Hello Aaron,

>> Usually between a click and the response there are 3-4 seconds
>> until something happens.
>
> this is exactly what we were seeing on certain systems with the binary NVidia
> drivers and it went away as soon as they switched to the open source driver.

I can try to boot the thinclient with a knoppix and connect to the machine.
I will do that.
Then I like to give the specs for the thinclient.:

We have 2 models heres.

1. Is a Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz, with 1GB RAM and a NVIDIA PCI Gefore 6200
   (thin clients only have PCI slots)
   The thinclient runs a stripped down SuSE 9.2, kernel
2.6.13-15-default with rather
   old nvidia drivers: NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-7676 and xorg-x11-6.8.2-0.1

2. Is a AMD cpu family 6 model 8 1GHz (/proc/cpuinf) . According to
the datasheet it should
   be a AMD geode NX1500 at 6W. This machine has 512MB RAM runs eLUX (a thinclient
   software http://www.myelux.de/). It has linux kernel 2.4.32. with
XFree86 version: 4.4.99.903.

   This machine comes with two configuration:

    -One is the onboard VGA chip, which is a SIS 741CX/964 (uses
Driver "SIS" in XF86Config)
    -the other is the same machine, but with an additional NVidia PCI
6200 with Nvidia driver 97.46.

The second machines are a bit faster in KDE4. (not much, but a bit). I
think that its because of the
CPU. The Celeron on machine 1 is simply a very bad CPU and I think
that the geode is faster.

The connection between the thinclients <-> SuSE 11b3 is Gigabit. (The
thinclients have gig-E).
The machine with the SuSE 11.1b3 is a Core 2 E8400 with 2GB RAM and a
NVidia PCi-e FX570.
(8800 chipset)

> yes, X. the question is why, and i'd like to start with the driver before
> exploring further inside of plasma itself.

I will now do the Test with the knoppix.
(I hope that the thinclients can boot from usb..)

regards,

Martin