plasma, panels, colours

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 10:35:14 CET 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> it was mentioned on irc that the new taskbar styling made it difficult to
> see the active window. but when i looked at the svg, the different was
> pretty apparent ... it was just hard to see o the black background of the
> panel.
>
> so i quickly editted panel-background.svg, tweaked the colours file and got
> this:
>
> 	http://plasma.kde.org/media/light_coloured_panel.png
>
> well, almost ..
>
> i also had to go in and tweak the colours that the tasks widget was using
> for the text, since i had to change the other text usage to something dark.
>
> (and ok, the choice of colour in the panel there isn't great, but you get
> the idea)

hmm, dunno, i feel that a light panel with just some black elements really
tends to scream hey look at me, look at me! and the panel would be a total
alen compared todesktop widgets
i think the icons in the panel are kinda enough to give color and exit from
black on black pattern..

perhaps it's possible to keep it rather in style but not sure (maybe similar
to the active task button, but with a raised look insted of sunken)
and kinda agree with riccardo, with a light background maybe could look better
with maximized windows, dark with not maximized ones

> it's really a lot more appealing with a non-black background. it could
> still even be a dark colour, but i really don't know how many distros are
> going to keep with the default theme when the default is, well, rather
> bleak.
>
> i was hoping of putting this off until 4.3, but i'm increasingly thinking
> that waiting is not only unnecessary but also problematic.

yeah, as you said would impact how theme class work, at least probably, so
let's do it now if we do it.
so we basically need a dfferent set of colors depending were we are
isn't possible to add new custom roles to kcolorscheme, right?
so besides window, button tooltip etc we would have a panel group...

or even a more silly idea :)
put in the panel background svg some elements like hint-text-color hint-
background-color of the proper colors.
to fetch it unfortunately should have to be rendered the element to an image
and sampled (even just a single pixel) maybe Theme::colorFromImage(path,
elementId) would be a thing a bit heavy weight but done just once (maybe even
cached)

Cheers,
Marco Martin