taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Nov 4 05:04:55 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 01:07:10 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> So what I think would be a good thing and what I'd like to do and I
> was under the impression, that Aaron shared this conviction, is to
> engage people in discussions around the topic of humans and computers
> interfacing with each other. The ways of the plasma was one, probably
> clumsy, attempt to do so. I think Celeste's offer to discuss the topic
> of user research could be such a discussion, too.
>
> So the question remains, how can this be done? (when even Celeste, who
> is a well respected member of the community, can't get the discussion
> going) This is of course assuming you all agree, that it could prove
> useful to have more people with a working knowlegde of HCI.

It is about developer buy-in, actually, as developers implement the design
that should be influenced by HCI designers. It's a mutual relationship. KDE,
being traditionally a rather technical community has only just begun tapping
into expertise in other areas, user interface, free knowledge, and so on. So
the community is expanding (not only quantitatively, but also qualitatively,
becoming a multi-discplinary bunch.

With that movement, the development processes have to adapt to it. How does
one integrate proper design into the engineering process? And especially how
does one do that in a voluntary-driven organisation?

> I'm still rather clueless about how I can help plasma.

Really, I think you're doing great. It's only not as easy as it might look
like from the outside. Having high-level documentation about design issues is
an asset. There are many small things that can help integrating development
and design processes, pretty much al require patience and
--
sebas