last API annoyance

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sun Nov 2 23:42:40 CET 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 22:17:57 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi,
> there is a thing lost deep in applet that i had nearly forgotten about...
> the backgroundHint of happlet has
> NoBackground StandardBackground  TranslucentBackground ShadowedBackground
> and DefaultBackground
>
> ShadowedBackground is there and does exactly nothing...
> now, is realistic some day will be useful? i'm not sure having calculated
> shadows for plasmoid is really a good idea...
> but actually i don't have strong opinions on either side about that topic,
> so i'm not advocating too much to remove it, i just want to avoid leaving a
> thing in kdelibs that could be dead forever, so wanted to have a clear idea
> on that

As I understand it, you can add items to an enum in a BC way (basically, as
long as you leave the existing assignments alone, you're fine, because enums
in C++ are compile-time-only structures).

So I'd say get rid of it, and bring it back if we ever need it.

Alex

--
Proud KDE hacker: http://www.kde.org
Get KDE 4.1 - out now!