taskbar: onlyGroupWhenFull

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Nov 2 17:47:03 CET 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 00:58:46 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 23:10, Zack Rusin <zack at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 November 2008 13:44:32 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> >> I think, the solution would be to agree on some fundamental concepts
> >> of how a user's desktop (and his mobile phone, his entertainment
> >> system, car, ...) work and then tackle the problems in front of us,
> >> because caring for the usability of taskbar grouping today is like
> >> trying to make it convenient to choose a caliber: to shoot yourself in
> >> the foot.
> >
> > No, that's a terrible analogy. This is not what this discussion was about
>
> You are right. Shooting oneself is terrible; but the analogy was quite
> fitting.
>
> > anyway. We're talking about sensible defaults for the things we /have/.
> > And while we definitely need to look at how to improve the desktop
> > experience
>
> How would that work? It is sure disturbing when I interfere with
> day-to-day development discussions, and I'm sorry if I did, but I'd
> like to know where or when the community starts looking into improving
> the desktop experience. There seems to be quite a reluctance to engage
> in such discussions. So if you, as a rather prominent member of our
> community, could tell me how it's done, I'd be very grateful.

We need to distinguish here what the purpose of the taskbar (or really most of
the elements in the desktop shell as we present it right now) is. In my
opinion, we're creating a desktop interface that is easy to learn for
everybody who has used traditional desktops in the past, but offers some
feature that don't need learning, but that get you hooked up (in fact you'll
only notice how well those Plasma elements work once you switch back and miss
it).

So we're offering a superset of UI experience, kind of what Microsoft does
with all kinds of protocols and standards (*1) -- extend them and thereby
blurring the lines of what's traditional. (We were talking about awful
analogies, no? :-))

So the default taskbar should indeed have those two qualities:

- support workflows the user is used to
- be a noticable best-of-breed implementation

Now the automatic grouping fits into exactly that. It's a rather traditional
element of a desktop but adds compelling features such as automatic and manual
grouping (among others) to keep the UX sane, and all that still supporting the
workflow of users who don't want to learn a new UI.

(*1) But of course not evil, d'oh! We're lovely.
--
sebas