After KDE 4.1 release: GHNS and other issues

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Thu Jul 31 10:05:53 CEST 2008

Il Thursday 31 July 2008 09:09:56 Kelly Miller ha scritto:
> Why?

Because with external C++ applets distributed on kde-look we will face the
same problem that we're facing now - uninstallable applets show up and users
get confused.

C++ applets should really be only released with kdeplasma-addons, so that for
the user is one single package to compile and install, in case they want more
stuff.

For inexperienced users is very hard to compile plasmoids they find online,
and often they just give up or don't know what to do with the tarball they
download.

On the other hand, with interpreted languages, you can make the installation
and distribution easy for the people, as then it really just comes down to
one click or drag and drop installation. And in 4.2, you will be able to
package and upload it much more easily, too.

So, C++ is good as long as it's kept in KDE's SVN or as one collection of
packages, but for the rest let's just use Javascript, Ruby, Python, or
whatever binding you prefer.

Bye,
-Riccardo
--