libplasma in 4.2: binary compatibility and moving to kdelibs

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:57:04 CEST 2008

2008/7/29 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>

> ConfigXml really ought to be in libkdeui alongside KConfigSkeleton imho.
> (kdeui
> because it uses QColor; perhaps we could manage to shove it into kdecore
> using
> QVariant cleverly? hm.)

I there any chance of the KConfigSkeleton classes being enhanced so you
don't have to pass references to the constructors (especially references to
primitive types). And then you would only be able to set and get values via
property() and setProperty(), but is that a big issue? Do we need to be able
to directly assign to the instance variables which are referenced? Would
that be BIC and therefore impossible for KDE 4.2?

Otherwise, you have the complicated code to work round it in ConfigXml,
where the referenced values have to be put in QLists, and tidied up when the
KConfigSkeleton items are deleted. I have had to do something similar for
the Ruby language bindings. For the kconfigcompiler generated code it adds
signals in the setter methods to indicate when a value has been changed,
which would be unnecessary if the variables couldn't be accessed directly.

-- Richard