Extender api review.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 27 23:44:17 CEST 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 19:57:00 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > should the Applet simply have an Extender object that it puts somewhere
> > in its layout? then all of this can be handled in Extender; this implies
> > that ExtenderItems would always appear in one place, together, in any
> > given Applet but i think that's ok? these are, after all, *Extender*Items
> > and not just another QGraphicsWidget =)
>
> That would avoid a lot of the issues we were discussing. And developers can
> still customize it's appearance by implementing a new extender. So extender
> then actually becomes just a widget basically. Maybe makes more sense to
> fire attach detach signals instead of the events in applet? avoids even
> more api bloat in applet.

very good idea.

> In applet we then only have initExtenderItem and
> maybe something like extender() but that's probably not even necessary.

i suspect we may eventually want Applet::extender(), but i'm not sure. let's
leave it out and see how we do without it =)

> > combined with PopupApplet, of the common use cases of Extender by
> > Extender- centric applets (like the notifier) are taken care of, while
> > allowing flexibility for things like the clock to do something slightly
> > different.
>
> Wow, since when do we have PopupApplet?

Laurent wrote libpopupapplet for use in extragear in 4.1; he moved it into
workspace/plasma/applets/ for 4.2; i moved the sole class from libpopupapplet
into libplasma, fixed some bugs and did an API cleaning; Loic is now working on
extending it to support QGraphicsWidget as well

i love this team =)

> So most extender using applets can
> just subclass PopupApplet and we have the popup functionality almost for
> free...

yep!

> > ah .. so this is really another case where dragging between views needs
> > support. hrm...
>
> Yeah, we really need a decent solution for this problem.... I mean my
> current approach at least works, but it ain't pretty.

"it ain't pretty .. after the show .."

ok, let's go with your solution for now and see if we can make it better down
the line.

i think that's just about all the issues then!

humru othro a kohnu se