Applet KConfigGroup vs QSettings?

Thomas Braxton kde.braxton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:09:35 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:53 AM, David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il> wrote:
> I want to save/read configuration settings for the user (rather than global
> settings).
>
> The applet class provides two KConfigGroup functions:
> config() and config( group)
>
> Where do these store their data? Global? User?
> The group name is best the applet name()? user's name?

KConfigGroup always saves it's data per-user.

config(group) is for when you want to store data to more than one
group, this function lets
you choose which group to store options to.

> Alternatively, there is the qt QSettings which places stuff in
> $HOME/.config/organization/app.config or something like that for which I might
> use organization name "plasmoid" or "plasma" and my applet name.
>
> Which is best to use for my plasmoid?
>
> (Both have isomorphic calls and the KConfigGroup probably calls QSettings or
> its parent.)

KConfigGroup has absolutely *nothing* to do with QSettings. QSettings
should probably
only be used if your program can be compiled as QT or KDE, then you
can share settings
between both the KDE & QT versions.