Are scripted DataEngines supposed to be installed through plasmapkg?

Luca Beltrame einar at heavensinferno.net
Mon Dec 29 13:23:37 CET 2008

Hello again,

following Aaron's suggestion I started working on a Python  DataEngine for my
little idea. I started off by looking at the pytime DataEngine that is in
SVN,, but I'm unsure how to properly install it so that is picked up by
Plasma. The directory structure suggested it could be installed through
plasmapkg, but if I do so, both with my embryonic project and the example in
SVN, I get errors (see the post I made on kde-bindings[1]).

However, it occurred to me that perhaps it's not the way it's meant to be
installed (since even in the CMakeLists.txt the install part of the DataEngine
is commented), because according to the debug output, Plasma does not pick up
the location of the DataEngine[2] (cf: the "mainscript" and "package path"
lines). Everything is fine if I install the test  Applet, instead.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bindings&m=123047723117940&w=2
[2] http://pastebin.com/m306fee80