sorry... too hard

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 20:42:30 CET 2008

On Saturday 27 December 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Simon St James said the following at 12/27/2008 11:46 AM :
> > Hi D.R.,
> >
> > On Saturday 27 December 2008 16:04:58 D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> Sanity finally set in.
> >>
> >> I thought that it would take an hour or two to write a fairly trivial
> >> plasmoid, just to get my feet wet.
> >>
> >> After more than thirty hours of work, I realise that I'm not even
> >> remotely close to having a system capable of building one. And I haven't
> >> even written a line of code yet. So I'm just calling it quits.
> >
> > I noticed that you were trying to build a development VM, and I think you
> > might(?) have been trying to write a Python Plasmoid.  If that's the
> > case, and you're willing to try again, you might want to try out my
> > project, KDE4Daily:
> >
> > http://dot.kde.org/1228930911/
>
> Fantastic!
>
> I told my wife (who's been having to put up with my frustrations) that I
> would not be drawn back into this. But I think you've succeeded in tempting
> me. I'm going to take a day or two off anyway, but early next week I'll
> give it a try.
>
> I'll try to be very clear (in private e-mails) about any difficulties,
> since it's obvious that you've put in a lot of effort and it sure sounds
> like I'm exactly the kind of person you had in mind, so presumably you'd
> want to know about anything that still seems to be a hurdle.

yes, at first try prepackaged stuff, makes things easier, you can try either
kde4daily or 4.2beta2 packages from any distro (in this case will be less up
to date but perhaps a bit easier to make a development environment?)
and at first try to look on how applets are made (simple ones) rather than
starting from scratch.
will be long but hopefully nott too painful, because yes, it's true that
documentation is still not really grat and scripted plasmoids are still not
many.
but i'm sure situation will get better and even now, starting slowly enough
entry barrier isn't so high
i'm sure you can do that :D

Cheers,
Marco Martin