Large memory leak in plasma

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Sat Dec 20 01:30:54 CET 2008

On December 18, 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > But I haven't seen any leak from plasma after letting it sit for an hour
> > or two, while I did see a leak with the nvidia driver.
>
> so the evidence continues to mount against nvidia. =/
>
> i talked with another person online yesterday who stopped using the beta
> releases because, while delivering better performance, were leaking on his
> system. yay!

I got the leaks no matter which nvidia binary I use.. but then who knows, it
could have been fixed while plasma was leaking... Meh.

Anyhow after doing some testing, it does look like it only happens with
nvidia's binary driver with glx and compositing enabled. Maybe nvidia will get
on it asap, we'll see, I've got a thread going on the nvnews linux forums as
well. Going to leave my system running nvidia without glx for a time to see if
indeed plasma will leak over the long term but I'm skeptical. Especially since
I'm not testing the same variables anymore, before it was always plasma with
compositing of some form, now without glx, no compositing of any form is
available afaik, so its not exactly a proper test.

small note, compositing/argb visuals make plasma's pixmap mem use skyrocket.
18MB with no compositing on nvidia, with composting on either driver pixmap
use starts at 32MB, and tops out at 130MB after a couple hours with
nv+xrender.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net