Large memory leak in plasma

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Fri Dec 19 03:13:29 CET 2008

On December 18, 2008, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On December 18, 2008, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> > > Latest beta.

> > > So far as I said, switching desktops and moving a folderview around
> > > made it grow, but regular use (I mostly use the task bars, and the
> > > notifier likes to pop up a lot) causes the same growth.

> > > Don't know, using the opensource driver makes my 8800GTS fairly
> > > useless. I can test it out for a while.. but seems to me if it was a
> > > driver leak, it wouldn't show up as owned by plasma, instead it'd just
> > > make X's virt-mem usage increase.
> >
> > Draging windows and switching dekstops cause plasma to allocate a bunch
> > of pixmaps. I assume its the pager plasmoid? Fresh start and I'm up to
> > 1193 pixmaps, and 50MB in pixmaps.
> >
> > Using both 180.11 and 180.16 nvidia betas. I'll try again with the nv
> > driver in a bit.
>
> Or at least when I see the leak again in the betas.. It can take a while.

Ok, so some news, after running with a fresh svn checkout of kde 4.2, and (for
sure this time) the 180.16 drivers, plasma is up to 105MB of pixmaps. Its
slightly strange too, it only started increasing after I stopped playing with
things trying to get it to allocate more memory.

I've just did a little silly test of recording X memory use in various stages
of X and kde restart

                      Virt     Res     Shr
Full Dekstop: 629M  318M  9336
Loged out:     201M  131M  7728
X Restarted:  123M  54M    7504
Full Desktop: 496M  195M  7856

Clearly it looks like X isn't freeing some of the ram, though most of it is
gone.

I'll be testing with the open source nv driver next to see if it also shows
leaks quite as badly.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net