getting started with plasmoid development

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:30:34 CET 2008

Aaron J. Seigo said the following at 12/15/2008 03:04 PM :
> On Monday 15 December 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> I want to write some plasmoids. However, it looks incredibly complicated
>> compared to (say) writing a superkaramba theme.
>
> what sort of plasmoid(s) are you thinking of taking a crack at?

Probably graphs of solar flux and/or geomagnetic activity; something simple
to start with :-)

> depending on what you want to do, it's about the same for a plasmoid. the
> issue is that we are lacking nice documentation and the system is a bit more
> powerful, and therefore the API commensurately larger, than what SK provides.
>
> with SK, you'd most commonly use the provided widgets and hook them up to
> sensors. in plasma, it's very similar, though instead of "sensors" we use
> "DataEngines".

That makes me feel a lot easier about the process. As is often the case
with trying to do something completely new, the hard part is just trying to
figure out exactly how to start. Documentation and examples are invaluable,
so when one doesn't have them, it can all be very intimidating.

> if you can describe what you'd like to do, i can probably give you some
> starting points at least =)

The simplest starting case I can think of:

every N minutes:
  download datafile from NOAA
  parse the file for the desired data (i.e., what the user wants to be plotted)
  plot the data for the last H hours
  display the plot

  Doc