New to list, make in applet

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Mon Dec 8 17:44:26 CET 2008

> > > * instead of having all those different svg's, you could put all the
> > > elements into just one svg. more efficient all around, and probably
> > > save your applet a few lines of code. obviously not critical =)
> >
> > I am very new to this and the only documentation is the .h files in
> > /usr/include/plasma. I need better documentation. Anyway, this sounds
> > good but ... tell me how :-)
>
> make an svg (in inkscape, or whatever you're using) with each of the
> individual elements in it. give each element an id (e.g. "ringing"). call
> setContainmentsMultipleImages(true) on your Plasma::Svg, then pass the name
> of the element that should be painted to Plasma::Svg::paint. voila.

Looks interesting. Something to do when things are final.

> > > * lots of C like code in there, such as dealing with c strings. never
> > > fun compared to Qt ;)
> >
> > Yep. A lot of this was lifted from "pure" c stuff like xringd and some
> > examples of modem program that worked. I would eventually like to get it
> > all into Qt4. I tried replacing the ringer with QSound but this is tied
> > to NAS, not alsa and such.
>
> use KNotification

I have notifications disabled in kde, in other words no beeps, clicks and pops
and microsoft-like tones. I want the ringer to sound regardless of these
settings and toggle it in the applet.

I have not kde documentation.

> > > * for the crashes, try your applet in plasmoidviewer (plasmoidviewer
> > > <pluginName>) and see if you can get a backtrace from that. note that
> > > plasmoidviewer does store the settings, so it's a fine way to emulate
> > > "on next login"
> >
> > The applet does not crash into the viewer. The excerpt cited was after an
> > hour sitting on the screen!
> >
> > Big outstanding issue is getting icons into the UI.
>
> use KIcon.
Get the same crashes. KIcon will give me more flexibility and less
restrictions tied to resource folders, but it has to work first :-)